Event Buddies – Connecting With Like Minded People In A big Data Community
Hey friends! 🙂
Something a little different for this blog post, inspired by an initiative from the organisers of SQLBits.
I think the best thing about our industry is the community. It’s a friendly community of like-minded professionals all wanting to network and socialise. Born out of a great willingness to share knowledge in a very collaborative way.
That said, the community being so huge could be viewed as a negative factor for those just starting out and new to attending events. A conference hall of thousands can seem a little overwhelming when you don’t know anybody and starting conversations with random people in a time isolation could be difficult.
With this in mind, if you are feeling like this at any future event where I’m speaking, please PLEASE reach out to me. Connect/follow me on LinkedIn or Twitter, then message me privately so we can have a chat.
I would be more than happy to tell you about my experiences of the events and the great community spirit I’ve come to know and love. Referred by many as the #SQLFamily 🙂
If you don’t want to message me. That’s ok too. I’m very approachable. Honest! Find me at an event and talk to me, suggested conversation starters (in no particular order):
- Peated, smokey Whiskey – my favourite is the Laphroaig Port Wood.
- Young children, love them, but they are such hard work!
- Star Wars, Lego and Lego Star Wars.
- Electric cars, solar panels, and battery storage (espically Tesla things).
- Strong Belgium beer.
- Home office setups and number of monitors.
- Home networking, making Cat6 cables and punching out patch panels.
- General DIY and home improvements.
- As a last resort, anything relating to the Azure Data Platform!
Once again, please reach out to me. We have a great community I’d I want it to continue to grow.
I hope to see you at a future event.
All the best.